Adult Dermatology - Research
Dr. Tissa Hata and Dr. Richard Gallo currently have several ongoing clinical trials, including new biologic treatments for psoriasis, a sponsored trial on atopic dermatitis, and a National Institutues of Health funded study with Dr. Richard Gallo examining the role of probiotic treatments in atopic dermatitis patients.
UC San Diego Dermatology has several groups interested in the study of atopic dermatitis (AD), more commonly known as eczema. Our research interests include ongoing studies into basic immunologic defects present in patients with atopic dermatitis (Gallo Lab) and therapeutic trials at UC San Diego and
Rady Children's Hospital.
Please contact Yun "Larry" Tong MD, Clinical Research Fellow at 858-657-7192 or Faiza Shafiq MBBS, Clinical Research Associate at 858-657-1697 if you would like more information about UC San Diego Dermatology clinical trials. Email: email@example.com
Trials Now Recruiting Volunteers:
ATOPIC DERMATITIS (AKA ECZEMA)
- UCSD-sponsored study investigating the effect of a one-week application of a probiotic cream made from a "good" bacteria that is normally found in high numbers on healthy skin but is seen at low levels in skin of eczema rashes. The transplanted "good" bacteria will hopefully kill the "bad" bacteria that is usually found in association with eczema rashes.
- UCSD-sponsored trial being conducted to determine the causal relationship between atopic dermatitis and skin microbiome (bacteria that normally reside on the skin). A prescription medication usually prescribed for eczema will be used to evaluate the response of the skin and the microbiome to treatment.
- UCSD is doing a collaborative work with a sponsor to obtain biopsy skin samples. This study is a sample collection study with a one-time visit which will be compensated.
- UCSD is collaborating with a sponsor to provide skin samples using tape strips. This will be a one time visit which will be compensated. Subjects are required to have at least moderate rosacea to qualify.
- UCSD is also conducting a clinical trial using a topical cream (ivermectin) therapy for subjects with mild rosacea.
- Sponsored clinical trial on Clinical Investigation of a Topical Silver Particle Solution Followed by 1064 nm Laser for the Treatment of Acne Vulgaris in Facial Areas of Subjects. Subjects will be required to have at least moderate to severe acne in this financially compensated clinical trial.
- UCSD is conducting a sample collection study (skin tissue biopsy) on acne on the back. This is a sample collection study with a one-time visit. Subjects will be compensated.
Psoriasis Research Support
UC San Diego Dermatology is fortunate to be supported by an endowment from the Charles and Anna Stern Foundation for research into psoriasis. Related projects include understanding the immune response of patients with psoriasis compared to atopic dermatitis and clinical trials ongoing at UC San Diego and
Rady Children's Hospital.
Skin Cancer Research Collaboration
UC San Diego Dermatology is in the process of expanding our research efforts in the study of cutaneous malignancies such as melanoma, basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinomas. We are assisted in this endeavor by our relationship with the
Moores UC San Diego Cancer Center. Our goals are to establish UC San Diego as a Skin Cancer Center of Excellence.
Pediatric Dermatology Research
The Pediatric and Adolescent Dermatology Research Group is involved in clinical studies of common and uncommon diseases, including acne, fungal infections, eczema (atopic dermatitis), warts and molluscum and psoriasis. For more information, visit their
Pediatric & Adolescent Dermatology Research: 858-576-1700 x4295