Updates on 2020-2021 Application Cycle
Consensus Statement on Upcoming Dermatology Residency Application Cycle with Respect to COVID-19 Pandemic
We welcome your interest and look forward to receiving your application. We wish you success in your endeavors.
Please note that we participate in the ERAS program. Completed applications will be accepted only in this format and are due no later than: Thursday, October 22, 2020 8am PT. In addition to the ERAS Application and in order to qualify your application for review, we ask that you submit a supplemental application here, due by Thursday, October 22, 2020 8am PT. Applicants that do not submit by this deadline will not be considered for interviews. Supplemental application will only be accepted through the Google Form linked above
Virtual Interview dates: Thursdays, January 14th, 21st, and 28th 2021
Residency Program Director:
Taraneh Paravar, MD, Associate Professor
Residency Program Coordinator:
Residency Start Date: July 1, 2023
Length of Program: 3 years
Resident positions available: 5
Application Deadline: October 22, 2020 8am Pacific Time
Does your program accept applicants who are already board certified in another specialty or who have done a prior residency?
- Yes, our program can accept applicants who have completed another residency program or are board certified in another specialty.
What salary or benefits do UCSD Dermatology residents receive?
What are the required documents for application to your program?
- Please note: In addition to the ERAS Application components below, we are requiring a supplemental application be submitted here. As with the ERAS Application, the supplemental application is due no later than October 22, 2020 at 8:00am PT
Medical School Transcript
Personal Statement (preferably one page)
At least three Letters of Recommendation (We will accept up to four.)
- USMLE Step I score is required
- USMLE Step II (both CS and CK) must be completed well before the start of residency. A Step II score is not necessary to be interviewed.
- USMLE Step III score is not required for residency application but MUST be taken during PGY-1 intern year. Your scores do not have to be in by start of residency but Step III exam MUST be completed before start of PGY-2 residency year.
What is the status of my application to your program?
- Refer to ERAS for the status of your applications. We review applications in October and most applicants who are selected for interview will be notified by the end of November. If selected for interviewing, you will be notified by email. Our interview dates are Thursdays, January 14th, 21st, and 28th 2021.
I've rotated with UCSD Dermatology. Am I guaranteed an interview?
- Completing a dermatology rotation at UCSD does not guarantee that an interview will be offered to the rotator should they apply for a Dermatology Residency Position.
Are International Medical Graduates accepted as applicants to the program?
- Yes, the UCSD Dermatology Residency does accept applications from international medical graduates. Please visit the UCSD Graduate Medical Education site for International Medical School Graduates for more information, including requirements for pursuing postgraduate medical education at UCSD: https://meded.ucsd.edu/index.cfm/gme/house_officer/house_officer_policies/international_medical_school_graduates/
Please note that UCSD Dermatology receives over 500 applications each year and is typically only able to offer around 40 interviews. Due to this, we are unable to offer interviews to many exceptionally qualified and impressive candidates.