Hongkai Xiong is currently a Full Professor in the Department of Electronic Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). Since he received Ph. D degree from SJTU in 2003, he has been with the Department of Electronic Engineering, SJTU. From Dec. 2007 to Dec. 2008,
Dr. Xiong was a Research Scholar with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), PA, USA. He has ever been a visiting scholar in the Division of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI) at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
His research interests include signal processing, multimedia communication, source coding and computer vision. He published over 150 refereed journal and conference papers. His research projects are funded by NSF, QUALCOMM, MICROSOFT, and INTEL. He is the recipient of
the Best Student Paper Award for “Spatio-Temporal Coherence for 3-D View Synthesis with Curve-Based Disparity Warping” at the 2014 IEEE Visual Communication and Image Processing (IEEE VCIP’14), the Best Paper Award for “Strip Based Media Retargeting via Combing Multi Operators” at the 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting (IEEE BMSB’13), and the Top 10% Paper Award for “Super-Resolution Reconstruction with Prior Manifold on Primitive Patches for Video Compression” at the 2011 IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (IEEE MMSP’11). He served as TPC members for prestigious conferences such as ACM Multimedia, ICIP, ICME, and ISCAS.
In 2014, he was granted National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholar and Shanghai Youth Science and Technology Talent as well. In 2013, he was awarded a recipient of Shanghai Shu Guang Scholar. From 2012, he is a member of Innovative Research Groups of the National Natural Science. In 2011, he obtained the First Prize of the Shanghai Technological Innovation Award for “Network-oriented Video Processing and Dissemination: Theory and Technology”. In 2010 and 2013, he obtained the SMC-A Excellent Young Faculty Award of Shanghai Jiao Tong University. In 2009, he was awarded a recipient of New Century Excellent Talents in University, Ministry of Education of China. He is a senior member of the IEEE (2010).
Selected Journal Articles
1. C. Li, Hongkai Xiong, D. Wu (accepted January 2015), “Delay-Rate-Distortion Optimized Rate Control for End-to-end Video Communication over Wireless Channels”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2015.
2. B. Wang, Hongkai Xiong, X. Jiang, Y. F. Zheng, "Data-driven Hierarchical Structure Kernel for Multiscale Part Based Object Recognition", IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1765-1778, Apr. 2014.
3. W. Dai, Hongkai Xiong, J. Wang, Y. F. Zheng. “Structured Set Prediction Modeling with Max-Margin Markov Network for Lossless Image Coding,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 541-554, Feb. 2014.
4. C. Li, D. Wu, Hongkai Xiong, “Delay-Power-Rate-Distortion Model for Wireless Video Communication Under Delay and Energy Constraints”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1170-1183, July 2014.
5. B. Wang, Hongkai Xiong, Z. Ren, C. W. Chen, “Deformable Shape Preserving Video Retargeting with Salient Curve Matching”, IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected topics in Circuits and Systems, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 82-94, Jan. 2014.
6. J. Zou, Q. Wu, Hongkai Xiong, C. W. Chen, “Joint Spectrum and Power Auction with Multi-Auctioneer and Multi-Bidder in Coded Cooperative Cognitive Radio Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 5768-5780, Oct.