Dr. Merchant recently left the academic track to join industry. She is currently a member of the UX Design Team in the Health Informatics Department at ResMed. In her role as the Behavioral Science Strategist she blends UX and behavioral design to create digital solutions that improve patient engagement in sleep disordered breathing and respiratory diseases. Dr. Merchant is a behavioral and data scientist with extensive experience working with technology to promote health behavior change. Her work spans small-scale and tightly controlled experiments to large clinical trials. Dr. Merchant is keen to adapt new study designs to pressing public health problems, and to bring the scientific method to the business arena. As a member of the R community, she is an advocate for advancing the cause of reproducible research in behavioral science, and increasing the presence and participation of women and other under-represented groups in data science. Ph.D. in Public Health from UC San Diego / San Diego State University, MA in Experimental Psychology from Cal State San Marcos, and BA in Psychology from UC San Diego.
- Merchant, G, Weibel, N., Pina, L., Griswold, W. G., Fowler, J. H., Ayala, G. X., Gallo, L. C., Hollan, J., Patrick, K. Face-to-Face and Online Networks: College Students' Experiences in a Weight-Loss Trial. Revise & resubmit/In press: Journal of Health Communication.
- Moller, A. C., Merchant, G., Conroy, D., West, R., Hekler, E., Kuglar, K., Michie, S. Applying and advancing behavior change theories and techniques in the context of digital health interventions. Revise & resubmit/In press: Journal of Behavioral Medicine – Special Issue with Society of Behavioral Medicine Special Interest Group Chairs.
- Godino, J., Merchant, G., Norman, G. J., Donohue, M. C.,, Marshall, S. J., Fowler, J. H., Calfas, K. J., Rock, C. L., Griswold, W. G., Gupta, A. G., Raab, F., Fogg, B. J., Robinson, T. N., & Patrick, K. Results of a Two-year Randomized Controlled Social and Mobile Weight Loss Trial for Overweight and Obese Young Adults (Project SMART). Accepted for publication June 2016: Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology.
- Merchant, G., Buelna, C., Castaneda, S. F., Arredondo, E. M, Marshalll, S. J., Strizich, G., Sotres-Alvarez, D., Chambers, E. C., McMurray, R. G., Evenson, K. R., Stoutenberg, M., Hankinson, A. L., Talavera, G. A. Accelerometer-measured sedentary time among Hispanic adults: Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL). Preventive Medicine Reports. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2015.09.019
- Merchant, G., Weibel, N., Patrick, K., Fowler, J., Norman, G., Gupta, A., Servetas, C., Griswold, W., Calfas, K., Raste, K., Pina, L., Donohue, M., Griswold, W., Marshall, S. (2014). Click 'Like' to change your behavior: A mixed methods study of college students' exposure to and engagement with Facebook content designed for weight-loss. Journal of Medical Internet Research 16 (6), e158. doi: 10.2196/jmir.3267