Time and Location:
Fall 2020: Tuesdays, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., October 6 - December 15. Classes will be held remotely using Zoom, which will be announced weekly.
- Genome-wide molecular profiling of tumors
- Clinical Genetics and Genomics in Hematology/Oncology
- Systems biology analysis of genome-wide datasets
- Genomic technologies for biomarker discovery
- Computational tools, methods and resources for cancer genomics
- Provide an interactive and engaging venue to learn and discuss about cancer genomics studies
- Learn how to design studies, conduct them or criticise them
- Identify databases, tools and technologies existing or in development, their novelties and limitations
- Identify the major laboratories and investigators in the field of cancer genomics
All participants are expected to read the selected article and engage in
discussion and critical thinking. The article will be selected in
agreement with the instructor and sent to the participants the Friday
preceding the class.
Location and schedule:
The journal club is held every Tuesday of the Academic Calendar
at 2pm via Zoom.
Dr Olivier Harismendy
, Dr Hannah Carter
and Dr Jill MesirovList Registration:
All participants need to register to the diffusion list
in order to receive the selected article every week and other communications regarding the journal club.
Recent selection of articles
See this link: MED278 recent articles
Tips and resources for a more effective Journal Club
- Identify the take home message: 1) Question asked, 2) Most significant piece of data/figure, 3) Validity of the conclusion
- Prepare slides: one figure panel per slide, not all panels and supplemental figures need to be discussed - choose wisely
- Prepare a couple background slides introducing the concepts, models or techniques used
- Highlight key conclusions for each panel presented
- Pick two or three sentences to highlight from the discussion
- Allow participants to discuss - but watch the clock, skip parts of the paper if time is running out
- More advice can be found online: ACP, Tips, Hematology