The ACGME accredited Cardiothoracic (CT) Anesthesia Fellowship is focused on providing an engaging environment for acquiring technical and academic skill towards becoming a leader in the specialty. The collective vision is to formulate an individual roadmap for each fellow to help them achieve clinical, academic and personal success. Our past fellows continue to excel in academia and private practice alike.
UCSD's Sulpizio Cardiovascular Centre holds nationwide recognition, with more than 1300 cases per year, not counting pediatric cases conducted at Rady children's Hospital. Our core team manages the entire gamut of procedures in the Cardiac and Thoracic surgical world, with the help of outstanding support staff, and cutting edge technology.
The perioperative transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) service covers over 1200 exams per year, providing ample opportunity to excel at image acquisition and interpretation. In addition, the program carries a strong Transthoracic Echo component, a standout feature. Clinical cardiac anesthesia is the primary goal of the first fellowship year, with some involvement in clinical research. The optional second fellowship year allows for furthering basic or clinical research interests in the pursuit of an academic career.
The twelve-month training of the Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship is dedicated to mastering the principles and practices of cardiothoracic anesthesia as outlined by the Department of Anesthesiology, UCSD School of Medicine and the ACGME. The rotations consists of at least six months of main cardiac OR, one month of thoracic anesthesia, one month in the cardiac intensive care unit, two months dedicated to TEE, and two month of electives. Elective rotations are offered at Children's Hospital, Scripps Memorial Hospital and the VA San Diego. All locations share the same educational goals and objectives, but each provides a distinct teaching milieu. TEE experience at all locations is held at the uniform high standard. All attending anesthesiologists involved in TEE teaching have formal training in cardiothoracic anesthesia or TEE certification.
We offer a total of 3 ACGME accredited positions. 2 positions are offered within the SF match and one position is outside the match. Acceptance of application commences in December and interviews are generally held in March/April, dictated by a June Match date. Please contact the program coordinator for the exact dates for the coming year.
Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellows
|Gabriel Reyes, MD|
|Alexander Gris, MD|
|Kirill Gelfenbeyn, MD|
|Wenlu Gu, MD|
|Jonathan Ellis, MD||Christine Choi, MD|
|Robert F. Haughton, MD||Quoc-Sy Nguyen, MD|
|Perin Kothari, DO||James Slotto, MD|
|Sophia Poorsattar, MD||Austin Henry, DO|
Candidates for admission to University of California San Diego Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship must have the following criteria:.
- Graduated from a 4-year ACGME accredited core Anesthesiology Residency Program.
- Satisfactory residency performance, as evidenced by recommendation letters and performance evaluations.
- ABA Board-Certified or candidate status.
- Three letters of references.
- Integrity, motivation, and overall interest in cardiac anesthesiology as a subspecialty.
- The accepted applicant must hold a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of California.
- The fellowship upholds UCSD's policy of non-discrimination on the basis of sex, race, age,
religion, color, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Applications and CV's will be accepted starting in December. Interviews will be scheduled starting in March and are scheduled on a Saturday.
Graduates of schools outside of the United States or Canada must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Completed a 4-year ACGME accredited core Anesthesiology Residency Program.
- Must have a currently valid ECFMG certificate.
- Must hold a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of California
- Must hold a Permanent Residency in the United States.
Appointment is contingent upon:
- Satisfactory criminal background check
- Full compliance with the licensure regulations of the Medical Board of California and federal immigration laws.
Applicants should register through SF Match in order to apply to the program as well as arrange rank lists. This year we will be using the Central Application Service (CAS) offered through SF Match. Please follow the directions on https://www.sfmatch.org
to complete the application process.
The application period runs from November through April. If applying after March 30th, please contact the program directly.
For further information contact:
Cardiac Anesthesiology Fellowship Program Coordinator