The UCSD Department of Neuro-Anesthesia is currently accepting applications for advanced training in Clinical Neuro-Anesthesiology at the Fellowship level. The UCSD Neurosurgical practice at the Jacobs Medical Center in La Jolla, CA is growing with the addition of multiple surgeons in both brain and spine surgery. With 5-10 craniotomy procedures per week and significantly more spine cases per week, the program is set to become a leader in advanced neurosurgical procedures in Southern California. The total neurosurgical case volume at UCSD is about 3600 cases per year between 2 hospital systems at La Jolla and Hillcrest.
We perform the entire spectrum of anesthesia for neurosurgical procedures:
- Brain: tumors (anterior, middle and posterior fossa); basal skull tumors; seizure surgery; awake craniotomy; endoscopic pituitary tumors; functional neurosurgery for deep brain stimulators, movement disorders; spinal cord/peripheral nerve stimulators; interventional neuro-radiology embolization, coiling, stents, strokes; open vascular neurosurgery for AVMs, aneurysms, carotid endarterectomy.
- Spine: minimally invasive surgery and large multi-level instrumented cases.
Since this is not an ACGME certified fellowship, there is great flexibility in elective opportunities and enrichment education as well as mentored, clinical or basic science research work.
The goals for the Fellow involve formulating an individualized career path that begins with a tailored and comprehensive exposure to advanced clinical neuro-anesthesia and the ancillary specialties that interact with neuro-anesthesia: neuro-critical care, neuro-interventional radiology, neurophysiology, and pediatric neuro-anesthesia. The Fellow can then apply this knowledge and technical skill to both academia and private practice.
The successful candidate will acquire the tools necessary to become a leader in the specialty.
World class Neuro-Anesthesia and Neuro-Critical Care faculty as well as state of the art intra-operative MRI and CT technology facilitate experience in all operating room environments relevant to the specialty.
Quarterly Faculty Dinner
Left to Right Drs Pearn, Lam, Drummond, Srejic, Lemkuil, Tran, Hylton
Positions: 1-2 positions per year
: Accepting applications year round
Flexible start date, Usually July or August
1-year Neuro-anesthesia Fellowship and
option for 2nd year for continued Clinical Research or Neuro-Critical Care
- Graduate of approved Anesthesia Residency Training Program
- Eligibility for California Medical License or
- Full California Medical License
Fellowship Program Director
Additional Neuro-Anesthesia Faculty:
|||1.Brian Lemkuil MD, Clinical Professor of Anesthesia (>15 years practice)|
Division Chief of Neuro-anesthesia Group
Neuro-Critical Care, Neuro-Anesthesia
Academic/Research Interests: Author, Miller’s Anesthesia; Stroke Center UCSD
|||2.Arthur Lam MD, Clinical Professor of Anesthesia (>30 years practice)|
Neuro-Critical Care, Neuro-Anesthesia
Academic/Research Interests: Trans-Cranial Doppler
|||3. Minh Tran MD, Assistant Clinical Professor (>10 years practice)|
Academic/Research Interests: T32 Grant: “The Effect of Mindfulness Training for Awake Craniotomy patients.”
|||4. Matt Pearn MD PhD, Associate Professor (>15 years practice)|
Academic/Research Interests: Basic Science Anesthetic Neurotoxicity
The role of caveolin-1 on anesthetic-mediated neurotoxicity
Role: Principle Investigator
5. Piyush Patel MD PhD, Professor (>30 years practice)|
VA Medical Center, UCSD
Academic/Research Interests: Author, Miller’s Anesthesia.
Basic Science Anesthetic Neurotoxicity, Stroke,
6. John Drummond MD, Emeritus Professor (>30 years practice)|
Former Chairman of UCSD Department of Anesthesia
VA Medical Center, UCSD
Academic/Research Interests: Neuro-Physiology, Stroke and Anesthesia
|||7.Jeffrey H. Gertsch MD PhD, Associate Professor of Neurosciences (> 10 years practice)|
Director, Interventional Neurophysiology Service,
8.Marin McDonald MD, Assistant Clinical Professor of Neuroradiology|
Anesthesiology Department Chair:Ruth Waterman MD, Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology
In 2020, a revised curriculum was created to be in compliance with the recommendations of SNACC (Society for Neuro-Science Anesthesiology and Critical Care) and ICPNT (International Consortium in Peri-Operative Neuro-Anesthesia Training). This involved a base BLOCK schedule and several electives as well as vacation time.
- Neuro-Anesthesia and Research…………………….….36 weeks
- Neuro-Critical Care……………………..….………………..…4 weeks
- Neuroradiology (IR, Pedi-IR, Diagnostic) ……..…..…4 weeks
- Neurophysiological Monitoring………………..………….2 weeks
- Elective……………………………….……………………………….4 weeks
- Vacation…………..…………………….………………….………..2 weeks
The applicant will work approximately 45 days/year in the operating room doing non-neurosurgical cases (supervising CRNAs, residents, or solo). While no call is required, there is an opportunity to moonlight (with California Medical License) in trauma call, OB call, or General OR call to maintain skills and supplement income. Neuro-Critical Care rotation may require 1 call per week during this block.
A mentored research project/creative activity with publication and/or presentation at a national/ international meeting is highly encouraged.
Also, the possibility of a 1 month away elective at UCSF or Cambridge could be arranged for enhanced international neuro-anesthesia exposure and experience.
For further information, please send a letter of interest to the Neuro-Anesthesia Fellowship Director Una Srejic MD and the Neuro-Anesthesia Fellowship Program
Co-Ordinator Ileana Ramirez.
- Letter of interest/cover letter/applicant photo
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- ACLS, BLS
- Copy of DEA Certificate, Medical School Diploma
- NPI #
- 3 Letters of Reference (1 from your program director or direct clinical supervisor)
- Note: California Medical License may take 6-9 months to obtain if coming from another state, Institutional permit may take less time.
Una Srejic MD, Neuro-Anesthesia Fellowship Director
c/o Ileana Ramirez, Neuro-Anesthesia Fellowship Program Co-Ordinator
Address: 200 West Arbor Drive, MC 8770
San Diego, CA, USA
Tel: office: (858)-657-5272
Thank you for your interest.