Our division consists of Anesthesiologists and Emergency Medicine physicians trained in the art of Critical Care Medicine. We currently provide critical care services and education at 5 clinical sites. Our service (ACCM) provides 24/7 coverage for the entire UCSD La Jolla Campus (Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center (CVC)/Thornton Pavillion, Jacobs Medical Center SICU, Jacobs Medical Center NCC, VA, and Hillcrest Hospital).
Anesthesiology residents, fellows, and medical students have abundant opportunities in research under the guidance of faculty with national and international reputations.
- Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center (La Jolla): All surgical patients in the Cardiovascular ICU, as well as some advanced heart failure patients, are overseen by our ACCM service with in-house staff 24 hours a day. Surgical procedures include: heart and lung transplants, ventricular assist-device placement, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, heart valve replacement, coronary artery bypass grafts, as well as complex thoracic procedures. 24-hour airway support is also provided by our ACCM service in this hospital.
Thornton Pavillion (La Jolla): All surgical patients in the Intensive Care Unit (12 beds) are overseen by our Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine (ACCM) Service with in-house staff 24 hours a day. The patient population consists of: neurosurgical, general surgical, urologic, gynecologic, and orthopedic patients. 24-hour airway management is provided by our ACCM service in this hospital.
- Jacobs Medical Center Neurological Critical Care Unit (La Jolla Campus): Our intensivists attend in the neuro-critical care unit and provide multidisciplinary care to the complex medical and surgical neurological patients in this 12 bed unit.
- Jacobs Medical Center Surgical Intensive Care Unit (La Jolla Campus): Our intensivists attend in the surgical intensive care unit. The patient population consists of solid organ transplant, vasuclar, general surgical, urological, gynecological and orthopedic patients. 24 hour airway management is provided by our ACCM service throughout this hospital.
- Veteran Association Surgical Intensive Care (La Jolla Campus): Our intensivists and fellows cover all surgical patients including cardiothoracic, general surgical, neurosurgical, vascular gynecological and orthopedic patients in closed collaborative ICU model in this 18 bed ICU.
- UC San Diego Medical Center Hillcrest: Our intensivists are active in the 20 Bed Surgical /Trauma ICU, as well as in the Neurosciences Critical Care Unit. Examples of cases seen here include: kidney and pancreas transplants, trauma, burns, orthopedic, general surgical, urologic, high-risk obstetric, and complex neurosurgical procedures.
Learn more about our: