Our division consists of Anesthesiologists and Emergency Medicine physicians all board certified in Critical Care Medicine. We currently provide critical care services and education at multiple clinical sites across San Diego (described below.) These include the UCSD Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, UCSD Jacobs Medical Center La Jolla, UCSD Hillcrest Campus, and the Veterans Administration Medical Center.
- Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center ICU: Our team provides care 24/7 in the cardiovascular ICU. Surgical procedures performed here include: heart and lung transplants, ventricular assist-device placement, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation cannulation, heart valve replacement, coronary artery bypass grafting, as well as complex thoracic and vascular procedures.
- Jacobs Medical Center Surgical ICU: Our team cares for patients in this surgical intensive care unit where the patient population consists of solid organ transplant, general surgical, urological, gynecological, orthopedic, and high-risk obstetric patients.
- Jacobs Medical Center Neurological Critical Care Unit: Our team is active in this ICU and provides primary management for all ICU-level neurology and neurosurgery patients. Trainees are exposed to complex stroke patients, given UCSD's designation as a comprehensive stroke center, and also to patients undergoing both cranial and endovascular neurosurgery.
- Veterans Administration Medical Center San Diego ICU: Our team cares for all surgical patients in this18 bed ICU. Examples of cases seen here include cardiothoracic, general surgical, neurosurgical, vascular, urologic, gynecological and orthopedic surgeries.
- UC San Diego Medical Center Hillcrest: Our faculty are active in the 20 Bed Surgical /Trauma ICU, as well as in the Neurosciences Critical Care Unit at this Level 1 trauma center and comprehensive stroke center.