MOMI CORE is all about breaking down silos and connecting the dots. We believe that the intersection of experts from different disciplines is what drives innovation and creates an engine of ongoing discovery that will benefit infants, mothers, and society as a whole. That's the rationale for partnering with UC San Diego's Institute for Public Health (IPH) to co-sponsor the
2020 Public Health Collaborative Pilot Grants.
Public Health Collaborative Pilot Grants
Join the Initiative!
If you are interested in this area of research and would like to join and support this initiative, please contact our Center Director via
MOMI CORE and IPH will award a $10,000 Pilot Grant that advances cutting edge transdisciplinary public health research as it relates to human milk and lactation, aimed at improving the health of populations locally, nationally, and globally. Proposals can include pilot studies or adding new components to existing studies, as well as multidisciplinary novel concepts that would lay the ground for larger studies and funding.
First Stage Applications
Submit the First Stage Application
as a single PDF email attachment to
Sheri Thompson, including:
- A 500-word abstract that will be scored by a faculty review committee. The abstract should include a) the project title, b) the research question, c) its relevance to public health and the focus areas, d) proposed methodologies, e) research team members.
NIH biographical sketches with other support with yearly direct costs for the primary research team members.
First Stage Applications must be submitted by midnight, November 25, 2019
Download the enitre IPH 2020 Request for Applications as pdf: IPH_PilotGrant_RFA_2020.pdf
The Principal Investigator must hold a UC San Diego faculty position (including Adjunct, Project and Research Scientist positions). UC San Diego Postdoctoral Trainees, Medical Fellows, and Residents are also encouraged to apply, but need to be sponsored by a UC San Diego faculty member. The research team may include collaborators from outside UC San Diego. Funding priority will be given to junior faculty members.
- First Stage Application: Deadline midnight, November 25, 2019
- Notice of Invitation to submit a Second Stage Application: December 16, 2019
- Second Stage Application: A 4-page proposal (details forthcoming to invited First Stage applications): Deadline 5:00pm January 13, 2020
- Notice of Awards: Approximately January 31, 2020
- Funding Cycle: March 2, 2020 – March 1, 2021
Proposals will be evaluated for merit in terms of:
- Relevance to focus areas (public health / human milk and lactation)
- Approach – research design and methodology
- New or expanded collaborations
- Transdisciplinary nature
Previous IPH funded grantees are not eligible for this RFA.
For questions regarding this specific request for applications, please contact:
Sara Moukarzel, PhD
UC San Diego Mother-Milk-Infant Center of Research Excellence (MOMI CORE)
Sharon Thompson, PhD
UC San Diego Institute for Public Health (IPH)