POSITION SPECIFICATIONS (2/7/2011)
Assistant Professor in Residence Department of Statistics.
UCIrvine (University of California, Irvine).
The Department of Statistics (www.stat.uci.edu) at the University of California, Irvine (UCI), invites applications for an assistant professor in residence who will serve as the Director of the Center for Statistical Consulting (CSC). The Department has a strongly interdisciplinary flavor, focused on developing methods to solve applied problems and advancing the statistical theory that underlies those methods. We are searching for faculty with strong research potential and enthusiasm for helping our Department continue to grow. The Center for Statistical Consulting was formed in 1997 and serves clients from across campus including the social sciences, physical sciences, and biological health sciences. The Center is housed in the Department of Statistics and the Department would like the Center to grow over the next few years.
The Director of the CSC will collaborate with other Department faculty to define goals and priorities for the CSC, and will work to implement these goals in overseeing the day-to day operations of the Center. The Director is expected to pursue an independent research program, but will have substantially reduced teaching to accommodate responsibilities as the Director of the CSC.
Existing major collaborations such as with the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center, Epidemiology,
and/or Health Policy will provide an opportunity for methodological research and development.
Applicants must hold or be near completion of a Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Biostatistics or a related
field. Completed applications containing a cover letter, curriculum vita, graduate transcripts, sample
research publications, and three letters of recommendation should be uploaded electronically. Please
refer to the following web site for instructions: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/ The review of applications
will begin January 15, 2011, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, has a National Science Foundation Advance Gender Equity Program, and is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
POSITION SPECIFICATIONS (12/21/2010)
Administrative Director, Medical Sciences Institute (MSI) & Medical Services
BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Inc.
Medical Sciences Institute (MSI) & Medical ServicesBloodCenter of Wisconsin, Inc.
The Client: BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Inc., headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is an independent, non-profit corporation with over 900 employees. As an internationally respected transfusion medicine organization, the BloodCenter serves as provider of blood and blood products to 50 hospitals located throughout Wisconsin. What makes the BloodCenter unique is the multi-faceted nature of its operations. The diagnostic laboratories provide and develop specialized and unique tests for patients throughout the country. Medical services provides patient services in areas of stem cell collection, plasma and red cell exchanges, the treatment of bleeding disorders, and the medical direction of transfusion medicine at both the hospital and BloodCenter. Organ and tissue donation combines procurement services and education to enhance the lives of patients and provide guidance to the families of potential donors. The BloodCenter of Wisconsin is one of a handful of blood centers in this country conducting blood research at their Blood Research Institute and is the leading blood center receiving NIH grants. The BloodCenter's diversification provides financial stability. The organization has a rich tradition of fiscal responsibility resulting from sound strategic planning and innovative management. It has a solid record of regulatory compliance.
Mission: BloodCenter of Wisconsin advances patient care by delivering life saving solutions grounded in unparalleled in medical and scientific expertise.
The Location: The position is located at the corporate headquarters of the BloodCenter of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Milwaukee is a very desirable Midwestern city that provides an outstanding quality of life as well as excellent educational, cultural and recreational opportunities.
The Position: The Administrative Director, Medical Sciences Institute & Medical Services is responsible for providing financial oversight and direction to MSI and Medical Services. This includes clinical and research operations. The Director will ensure that operations are in compliance with regulatory and organizational requirements and that customer satisfaction, operational/cost-effectiveness, and quality are achieved. The position functions as department liaison and representative with internal and external entities. The position reports directly to the Senior Vice President of MSI and Chief Medical Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field required, preferably in a scientific specialty, business, or health care administration
- MBA (Master’s in Business Administration) preferred
- 10 years of progressive management experience in healthcare or associated industry
- Strong background in financial management, including budget planning, forecasting, and tracking
- Experience successfully managing regulatory, compliance, legal and IRB (Institutional Review Board) issues in a clinical trials environment
- Previous experience working externally with health care partners and physicians
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategic and tactical plans
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Expert knowledge of GCP (Good Clinical Practice) and FDA (Food and Drug Administration) guidelines with a working knowledge of basic scientific methods, biological principles and medical terminology
- Scientific and medical understanding
- Knowledge of cost accounting systems and their application in a clinical trials environment
- Strong operations management skills with demonstrated achievement in meeting or exceeding fiscal and productivity goals
- Ability to set and communicate priorities, effectively planning and organizing the work within area of responsibility
- Demonstrated negotiation and facilitation skills with the ability to influence others and proven ability to work with senior executives and physicians
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a participative management style
- Highly developed analytical, critical thinking, deductive reasoning and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated computer skills with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook)
- Knowledge of continuous improvement/total quality management principles and methodologies such as Lean/Six Sigma preferred
Administrative Clinical and Research Operations
- Directs and implements the administrative aspects of the clinical and research setting, developing detailed fiscal and operating plans.
- Develops and maintains strategies, policies, and procedures to enhance the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of operations.
- Responsible for quality assurance which includes compliance with all quality standards and guidelines for clinical and research operations and ensuring that the department is in compliance with federal, state and other regulatory agencies.
- Develops the infrastructure necessary for a clinical trials office, and coordinates all aspects of clinical trials and support for research including supporting principal investigators and research nurses/staff.
- Facilitates internal and external partnerships/strategic alliances related to clinical expansion and engagement and research; acts as a liaison with partners.
Planning and Program Development
- In partnership with executive leadership, participates in the development and execution of short and long-term strategic plans.
- Working with leadership, develops detailed plans and sets goals to accomplish personal, department and BCW objectives including clinical growth, revenue enhancement and grant procurement.
- Oversees operational and financial modeling and prepares comprehensive business plans for existing and new programs and services.
- Researches program planning and development.
- In partnership with Finance, responsible for the profit and loss of the department including developing strategies to maintain/improve performance, conducting financial and operational forecasting for existing or new programs and services.
- Working with senior leadership and Finance, develops the annual operating and capital budget and monitors expenditures related to established budget, develops budget controls and reports and analyzes data against benchmarks.
- Provides support to physician leadership regarding grant writing, adherence to budget guidelines, opportunities for extramural funding, billing, and reimbursement issues.
- As appropriate, works with Finance to ensure billing and reimbursement for services in a timely manner.
Human Resource (HR) Management
- Develops, monitors, and manages the administrative HR infrastructure to support department operations to include appropriate staffing levels, compensation oversight, recruitment and retention, and team building.
- Hires, develops and retains outstanding talent. Mentors staff in career growth and personal development.
- Establishes clear goals and objectives for the department to meet business targets.
- Develops and implements metrics reflective of targets, and reviews then regularly with the team to monitor performance versus goals. Assigns ownership and holds staff accountable.
- Monitors and documents performance, sets goals in accordance with organizational priorities, and coaches staff to improve performance; prepares and delivers performance evaluations in partnership with the SVP as appropriate.
- Leads by example, motivates and inspires.
Appointments and Credentialing
- Works collaboratively with external partners to ensure medical staff receive appropriate appointments and are credentialed, adhering to JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations) and other regulatory agency standards.
- Coordinates training of new staff and physicians, acquainting them with BCW policies, good laboratory practices, management tools, and leadership skills as appropriate.
- Ensures job descriptions and annual goals are complete and current for each position in the department.
- Takes on focused tasks and projects working in and with task forces in senior management, cross-functionally within the organization.
- Represents the business unit and/or BCW at designated meetings, effectively leading and interacting with internal and external stake holders.
- Upholds the customer service standards and management philosophy of BCW.
- Serves as a member of BCW management team supporting mission and plans for BCW.
- Ensures the implementation of continuous improvement/Lean/Six Sigma methodologies resulting in sustainable improvements in areas of responsibility.
- Participates in professional activities to keep up to date on relevant developments in the field.
Susie Anshus, Executive Recruiter
Flannery & Associates, LLC
N27 W23953 Paul Road, Suite 204
Pewaukee, WI 53072
(262) 523-1206 ext. 11
Fax (262) 523-1873