Velos is an integrated software system designed to assist investigators in managing their clinical research trials/studies.
The software links to the UCSD Health's Epic Electronic Medical Record System to provide improved information and integration for clinical research projects. A highly knowledgeable and skilled support team assists investigators in implementing their protocols, study calendars, coverage analysis and more.
- Study Management
- Patient Management
- The Coordinator Portal
- eSample Biospecimen Tracking
- Electronic Data Capture
- Financial Management
+ Expand All
To obtain Velos Access you must complete the Velos Access form AND attend an in-person CRB training.
To Request access to the Velos Application
- Go to the ACTRI Service Request Form.
Select "Biomedical Informatics" as the Service Type.
Select "Velos Access" as the Biomedical Informatics Service.
Fill out the requested fields: Division, User Info and P.I. Info.
- Upon clicking "Submit" a notification will be sent to the Velos Support Team. We will process your request and send the access form to the user and P.I. via DocuSign.
To Request CRB Training
A list of our upcoming sessions is on our Velos Wiki.
If you would like to register for Velos CRB class, please send an email request to the CTRI Application Support Team at
email@example.com and provide the date of the class you would like to attend.
Upon receiving your request, we will send you a confirmation calendar invitation.
Once the Application Support Team has received your approved DocuSign form and you have attended an in-person training, please allow two-business days to create your Velos account.
To Request for a Study to be Created
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- In the subject line please follow this format – "Velos – IRB Number – PI Last Name, First Name"
- For example: "Velos – IRB # 12345 – Dr. Smith, Brian"
- IRB or IACUC (animal study) number
- Proposed study name
- Study protocol (must be attached)
You will receive an email acknowledgement that the request was received. Please allow 48 hours for your request to be processed. Once the study record is created, you will receive an email notification.
- Velos is only compatible with the following browsers: Firefox 56+ and Internet Explorer 11+.
- The use of Velos is audited and misuse of Velos and associated data, including unauthorized access to patient records, can result in the revocation of this privilege and possible disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment and possible civil and criminal prosecution.
- Any protected health information (PHI) is not to be migrated or transferred from Velos without a fully executed Data User Agreement (DUA).
- All users must notify the Application Support team when they no longer need Velos access.
How much does Velos cost?
Velos is provided through the ACTRI at no charge.
Custom work, such as forms or reports, may incur a charge.
Is there Velos training?
Yes, there is mandatory in-person CRB training that you will need to attend in order to obtain your Velos account.
How do I log into Velos?
Velos is controlled by your UCSD Active Directory (AD) credentials. These are the same as your UCSD email (omitting "@ucsd.edu"). They are granted by the ITS Service Desk.
If you are accessing Velos from outside the university firewall, you will also need an Active Directory account to access the VPN.