Health Policy and Law Program
The HPAL program is designed to assist prospective leaders in health care policy and law to develop the skills and knowledge required to successfully navigate a career in health and policy law.
Accepted applicants will be appointed as J-1 exchange scholars, with their primary focus in research. HPAL combines a carefully structured Master's Degree in Advanced Studies in Healthcare Policy and Law along with the mentor-led experiential training and career development. Scholars are acculturated into international health care policy and law practices while based in a leading academic medical institution in the U.S. The Master's in Healthcare Policy and Law equips health professionals with a more complete understanding of the basic scientific, ethical, regulatory, and management practices to prepare them to become leaders in providing integrated, sensitive solutions to everyday practice and policy issues. The program optimizes the potential for a successful career in health policy and law, including working in settings such as the ministry of health or the governmental agencies; or in an academic setting — conducting research.
International graduates (i.e.: from medical, dental and pharmacy backgrounds) who are interested in honing health policy skills for career advancement.
Duration of Program:
- Understand different views, concerns and practices of both the medical and legal professions as they relate to health care policy and law.
- Develop awareness of the U.S. health care system and draw comparisons to other systems in regards to legal and governance issues.
- Develop experience related to pressing issues in health and law including the impact of technological innovation and policy development.
- Build capacity for understanding and implementing the foundation, principles and thought processes for medical and legal practice, bioethics, and policy research and development
- A distinguished
Master's in Healthcare Policy and Law from UC San Diego
- Individualized mentorship from a recognized faculty leader
Individualized clinical exposure and insight into a leading health care system
Policy and law experience, skills, and insight in a highly-competitive academic setting
indispensable professional network
- An opportunity to
present your policy and law projects and co-author publications
Student leadership opportunities