The Antonio De Maio laboratory has found that the response to injury is modulated by several confounding factors including genetic background, sex, age, diet, and environment. The major factor associated with morbidity and mortality injury is an overwhelming inflammatory response.
The Antonio De Maio group is using mouse genetics to identify genes that regulate the inflammatory process as potential therapeutic targets. In addition, the Antonio De Maio laboratory is studying the role of heat shock proteins in the regulation of the inflammatory response.
The Antonio De Maio Laboratory is actively engaged in the training of basic scientists, future academic surgeons and students at the undergraduate, graduate and medical school levels.
133. A. De Maio, J. Okerblom, D.M. Cauvi, M. Williams, D. Schlamadinger, J. Kim and N. Arispe. Hsp70 interaction with the plasma membrane: A gateway for export. 5th International Congress on Stress Responses in Biology and Medicine, Quebec City, Canada, 2011.
132. A. De Maio, J. Okerblom, D. Cauvi, D. Schlamadinger, J. Kim, and N. Arispe. New perspectives into the insertion of Hsp70 into membranes. Heat Shock Proteins in Cancer and Immunology: 5th International Symposium on Heat Shock Proteins in Biology and Medicine. Woods Hole, MA, 2010.
131. A. De Maio, J. Okerblom, D. Cauvi, V. Vega, G. Multhoff, N. Arispe. Hsp70 is released into the extracellular environment inserted into the membranes of stress vesicles. Korean Cell Stress Society, Seorak, South Korea, 2010.
130. A. De Maio, D. Vazquez, J. Okerblom, V. Vega, W. Charles, N. Arispe, G. Multhoff and D. Cauvi. Hsp70 is released into circulation associated with export cellular vesicles and induces a robust activation of the immune system after injury. World Congress on Trauama, Shock, Inflammation and Sepsis, Cologne, Germany, 2010.
129. A. De Maio, J. Okerblom, D. Cauvi, V. Vega and N. Arispe. Insertion of Hsp70 into membranes correlates with the flipping of phosphatidylserine across the lipid bilayer. Biophysical Society 54th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, 2010.