This program is designed for motivated undergraduate students from groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to be underrepresented in health sciences on a national basis and who are interested in seeking future training in a combined MD/PhD program or an academically oriented career in medicine.
Please see the NSF Guidelines: http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/wmpd/.
- Principal focus is an 8-week research project conducted in the laboratory of a faculty member in the biomedical sciences
- Weekly seminars
- A physician-scientist clinical shadowing experience
- Career development seminars
- Presentation of your work at the UCSD Summer Research Conference
- Stipend for the eight-week period - $1600/month
- Includes room (not board)
- $500 Travel allowance for transportation to and from San Diego
Please visit the FAQ page for additional information about the SURF Program.