USMLE Step 3 Forms, Fees and Information will be available to you at the
Federation of State Medical Boards website for the USMLE Step 3 exam.
When you go onto the website you will go through these steps to obtain
the information you need for USMLE Step 3:
- Review the Bulletin of Information to find the official policies of the
USMLE program that apply to your administration of the exam. The link is
contained within the Applying for Step 3 webpage.
- Check that you meet the Step 3 Requirements. Two sets of requirements
are listed: the core USMLE program requirements that all applicants must
meet and the state-specific eligibility requirements (e.g. minimum
postgraduate training of the sponsoring board). Please keep in mind that
when you register for Step 3, you will be asked to indicate the state
board for which you are sitting.
- After identifying a board whose eligibility requirements you meet,
print that state boards instructions for your reference. You may also
need to print and submit a postgraduate training form or additional
documents from these instructions.
- Step 3 Forms Fees: Provides links and information for Application,
CID,Name Change, Extensions, Accomodations and Score recheck. The
Certification of Identity (CID) Form, which will require a picture and a
If you have questions after accessing the website you may contact the FSMB by calling (817) 868-4041.
The exam is computerized and is scheduled on a Monday through Saturday
basis to be given at Thomson Prometric Testing Centers. There is one
Sylvan Center in San Diego as follows:
Thomson Prometric Test Center
5075 Shoreham Place Suite 180
San Diego, CA 92122
Phone: 858-866-2120 Site Code: 0526
For the most up-to-date list of Testing Centers in the state of
California, please refer to Prometrics website.
Read all of the application material carefully. Submit the application
- Fee required with application for processing, to the FSMB by first
class mail to:
Federation of State Medical Boards
Attn: Assessment Services
400 Fuller Wiser Road, Suite 300
Euless, Texas 76039-3856
- Allow approximately 2-4 weeks for processing once the Federation
receives your application.
- Once your application is registered and eligibility status approved, a
Scheduling Permit will be mailed to you at the address provided on your
- When you receive the Scheduling Permit, you will be able to contact
Thomson immediately to schedule the examination.
- The Scheduling Permit will specify your assigned eligibility period,
which begins immediately and extends for approximately 90 days, during
which time you must complete the exam.
- If you do not take the test within your assigned eligibility period and
wish to take it in the future, you must reapply, including submission
of new application materials and fees.
- FYI - USMLE exams are not available during the first two weeks of
January or any state or federal holidays.