DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
THIRD PARTY LIABILITY BRANCH
P.O. BOX 1287
SACRAMENTO, CA 95812-1287
NOTICE TO TERMINATING EMPLOYEES
The California Department of Health Services will pay health insurance
premiums for certain persons who are losing employment and have a high
cost medical condition. In order to qualify for the Health Insurance
Premium Payment (HIPP) Program, you must meet ALL of the following
- You must currently be on Medi-Cal.
- Your Medi-Cal Share of Cost, if any, must be $200 or less.
- You must have an expensive medical condition. The average monthly
savings to Medi-Cal from your health insurance must be at least twice
the monthly insurance premiums. If you have a Medi-Cal Share of Cost,
that amount will be subtracted from your monthly health care costs to
determine if paying the premiums is cost effective.
- You must have a current health insurance policy, COBRA continuation
policy, or a COBRA conversion policy in effect or available at the time
- Your health insurance policy must cover your high cost medical
- Your application must be completed and returned in time for the
State of California to process your application and pay your premium.
- Your health insurance policy must not be issued through the
California Major Risk Medical Insurance Board.
- You must not be enrolled in a Medi-Cal related prepaid health plan,
County Health initiative, Geographic Managed Care Program, or the County
Medical Services Program (CMSP).
NOTE: If an absent parent has been ordered by the court to provide your
health insurance, you will not be eligible for the HIPP Program.
For more information, you may call this toll free number 1-800-952-5294
and follow the recorded instructions.
FOR PERSONS DISABLED BY HIV/AIDS
Under the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act
of 1990, persons unable to work because of disability due to HIV/AIDS
and who are losing their private health insurance may qualify for the
Health Insurance Premium Payment (CARE/HIPP) program for up to 12 months
if they meet the following criteria:
- Have applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI),
Supplemental Security Income (SSI), State Disability Insurance (SDI), or
other disability programs
- Are currently covered by a health insurance plan (COBRA, individual
or group), which includes outpatient prescription drug coverage, and HIV
related treatment services
- Are not currently on the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)
- Have a total monthly income of no more that 250 percent of the
current federal poverty level and
- Will be eligible for the Medi-Cal HIPP Program within 12 months.
For additional information on CARE/HILL, you may call:
Northern California AIDS Hotline or Southern California AIDS Hotline
- 1-800-367-2437 (English/Spanish)
- 1-800-922-2437 (English)
- 1-800-922-2438 (Multi-Language)