UC San Diego School of Medicine has long been known as a place where discoveries are made. Today, we are known as a place where discoveries are delivered.
UC San Diego School of Medicine, established in 1968, is the region’s only medical school. As a top-tier academic medical center, our role is to improve health through innovative research, education and patient care.
- 500+ medical students, 900+ residents and fellows, and hundreds of graduate students who have some interaction with School of Medicine labs and programs
- 70+ combined MD/PhD students in our Medical Sciences Training Program
- 1,500+ physician and scientist faculty members
The School of Medicine is closely tied to the
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and
UC San Diego Health, which includes the UC San Diego Medical Center, Jacobs Medical Center, Moores Cancer Center, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, Shiley Eye Institute and many other centers, clinics and affiliates throughout Southern California.
We have long been at the forefront of translational — or “bench-to-bedside” — research, transforming patient care through discovery and innovation leading to new drugs and technologies. Translational research is carried out every day in the hundreds of clinical trials of promising new therapies offered through UC San Diego Health, and in the drive of our researchers and clinician-scientists who are committed to having a significant impact on patient care.
Our alumni have achieved distinction as clinicians and innovators, in private practice, academia, and the public and corporate sector. In addition, many community-based physicians take advantage of our continuing medical education programs and many other opportunities to participate in rounds, lectures and symposia, helping them to remain abreast of new developments in their fields.
- Educate a holistic student who can lead and innovate in a diverse and interconnected world
- Cultivate a diverse community of scholars where learning is accessible and affordable to all
- Create and disseminate leading-edge research and discoveries that transform lives, shape new fields and push the frontiers of knowledge
- Drive economic development, shared prosperity, and social and cultural enrichment in our region and around the world